martes, 13 de marzo de 2007

multiple intelligences: activity 3


1- Complete the lines of this stanza using the ones of the box paying attention to the rhythm:

But I feel the bright eyes – I lie down by the side – without bringing me dreams – my bride

For the moon beams...................
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise…………….
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee:
And so, all the night – tide……………..
Of my darling – my darling – my life…………….
In her sepulchre there by the sea.
In her tomb by the sounding sea.


This is a poem with a clear rhythmic pattern repeated all throughout the poem. what I want to check is simply their rhythmic skills and if they can notice the repetition of sounds and the alternation of long and short lines.I want to check if students are able to feel the internal rhythm of the poem and to add the correct lines to continue with it. For example, in the first line, students should notice the internal rhyme achieved using “beams” and “dreams”. The repetition of the sound /i:mz/ in the middle of the line and also at the end of the line creates this internal rhyme together with the repetition of the “m” sound in “moon” and “beams” and “me” and “dreams”. In the third line, students should notice the juxtaposition of a coordinate and an adversative sentence together with the use of the sounds /z/, “r” and the diphthong /ai/. In the fourth line, students should notice the internal rhyme achieved by the stress on the words containing the diphthong /ai/. Finally, in the sixth line, students should see first the structure of the sentence achieved through the use of an anaphora and the repetition of the structure my four times. There is also internal rhyme accomplished through the repetition of the diphthong /ai/.
Summing up, what I want to see is how students feel sounds, rhythm and rhyme to create harmony in this stanza of the poem.

No hay comentarios:


"Language is a process of free creation; its laws and principles are fixed, but the manner in which the principles of generation are used is free and infinitely varied." By Noam Chomsky